[et-mgmt-tools] Moving Cobbler Server

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 15:56:27 UTC 2007

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> If i install cobbler onto another server how can i migrate the
> installation across ? would copying
>
> /etc/cobbler
> /var/www/cobbler
> /var/lib/cobbler
>
> suffice along with the apache config ?
>
> thanks

Good question.  I'll make an article about this on the Wiki.

Here's what I'd do:

Install Cobbler on the new system.
rsync /var/lib/cobbler and /var/www/cobbler from the old system
verify Apache is configured correctly
edit /var/lib/cobbler/settings to correct the server address

Assuming your distribution trees all came from "cobbler import" you
won't have to worry about where your distro files come from.
Otherwise, do a
"cobbler distro list" and check.  It may be that you have local kernels
in the config, as opposed to something that already resides in
/var/www/cobbler
as the result of an import.

If your yum repositories are mirrored from local directories (ex:
/srv/mypackages/*.rpm), you'll have to deal with them, but if they are
all remote, then no problem.
You don't have to worry about the cobbler mirrored copies because they
are in /var/www/cobbler.

Cobbler will take care of building /tftpboot and everything else out for
you when you run cobbler sync.

If you hit anything strange, let us know, and I'll expand the Wiki article.