[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler: right place for custom kickstarts

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Dec 18 22:40:42 UTC 2007

Am 18.12.2007 um 23:23 schrieb Michael DeHaan:

> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>>

>> So, you have to distill out what is common in your kickstart-files
>> and turn that into one or more kickstart-templates, create
>> different profiles for these kickstart-templates (you have to
>> spell-out the path on the server to in the input-field, there's no
>> nifty "select file" dialogue).
>
> Right, because you're not uploading a local file, you're picking
> one on the server that already exists.
> I expect most people to use the command line, but as interest in
> the Web UI grows, information like this about usability
> perceptions /is/ helpful.

I use the web UI, because it's easier to add all the ksmeta-stuff...
If I had to provision 100 systems at once, I'd write a script that
produces the cobbler commands though.

> If uploading kickstart files proves useful enough, that's something
> we can think about adding.

Not really. Once you know what you have to do it's no problem.
Maybe adding a "Note: this is a path to a file already on the
server!" next to it will make it a no-brainer...

>> My suggestion is to do all pre-production testing in either VMware
>> Workstation (or maybe the new Server 2.0 Beta, because of RHEL5-
>> support), for the simple fact that you will reboot often - and
>> that takes minutes on my blades, compared to 1 second with VMware...
>> I probably saved hours this way.
>
> Or Xen.... or KVM .... both of which are free, open-source, and
> supported in koan :)

Sorry, I didn't want to discriminate.
I just can't get my head around Xen ;-)
I will try it one day....