[et-mgmt-tools] w2k3 on Centos5-xen

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Dec 23 04:53:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am trying to use virt-manager to setup a w2k3 domU. I have successfully
gotten a centos-5 domU running using cobbler and koan, but windows is not
cooperating. The windows installer boots and everything is fine up until
the point that the installer reboots the machine.

When the machine reboots into the graphical installer I get an error that
it can no longer find the media in the cdrom. Of course at that point I
have to abort the install because the only options are retry or cancel.

I do not know if it is important or not but when windows says it is going
to reboot, it actually shutsdown and I have to manually restart it.

The config file for the w2k3 domU looks like the following:

name = "w2k3"
uuid = "24375a2a-30d3-5b4e-1076-bc607f73c35e"
maxmem = 500
memory = 500
vcpus = 1
builder = "hvm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot = "c"
pae = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncunused = 1
disk = [ "phy:/dev/GEP0/w2k3,hda,w" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:04:fd:03,bridge=xenbr0,type=ioemu" ]
serial = "pty"

(geppetto pts10) # rpm -qa | grep virt
libvirt-0.2.3-9.el5
libvirt-0.2.3-9.el5
virt-manager-0.4.0-3.el5
libvirt-python-0.2.3-9.el5
python-virtinst-0.103.0-3.el5.centos
(geppetto pts10) #

The above file is as created by virt-manager.

I have been looking through google for the last few hours but no joy.

Is virt-manager devel at a point where this is expected to work? If so, can
someone give me an idea what I am missing?

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com