[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager features and roadmap tentative draft

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 17:06:35 UTC 2007

Hugh Brock wrote:
>> Red Hat team members had a meeting this week to look at the work ahead
>> for virt-manager. Based on our own thoughts and a list of outside
>> requests, we came up with this tentative roadmap for Fedora 7 and
>> Fedora 8. We'd like to hear from the community on additional features
>> and modifications to these as well.

Apologies for the bad formatting of the last two posts (Thunderbird
and tabs are not behaving well for me). This one should be more readable...

Features                When            Issues
Qemu and KVM backends   Fedora 7        Will need libvirt support
OS profiles             Fedora 7        Should be able to select an OS
                                         type when installing a full-virt
                                         guest, so we can pass
                                         appropriate boot parameters
                                         (acpi on/off for example).
Mouse pointer in
   console for PV        Fedora 7        Already works in rawhide for
                                         RHEL5 and Fedora 6 guests, with
                                         configuration.
Drop-down lists for PV
  installs               Fedora 7        We would like to prepopulate the
                                         PV kernel source lists with some
                                         sensible URLs. Problem: mirror
                                         selection?
Group operations        Fedora 7        We would like to be able to
                                         select multiple guests at once
                                         for certain operations
                                         (shutdown, for example).
UI for block/net devs   Fedora 7        We need UI for adding vbds and
                                         vnics to guests. Support for
                                         this is already available in
                                         libvirt
XML output              Fedora 7        We would like to be able to
                                         write the libvirt guest config
                                         XML to a file, for export to
                                         other tools
Connect help button     Fedora 7        We need help text for all of the
                                         virt-manager screens
Crash-dump button       Fedora 7        Would like to have UI for
                                         crashing a guest and storing the
                                         crash dump somewhere. Support
                                         for this is already available in
                                         libvirt

Managing multiple                       Requires libvirt remote mgmt
   remote hosts                          support
  * connect dialog       Fedora 8        Needs some UI for remote
                                         authentication/authorization
  * manager window       Fedora 8        Should display hosts/guests
                                         in a tree or something similar,
                                         rather than the current simple
                                         list
  * VNC widget
    performance          Fedora 8        The Python vnc code runs too
                                         slowly to be usable when
                                         connecting over a network pipe.
                                         We need to replace it with a C
                                         widget.
  * VNC widget auth
    and encrypt          Fedora 8        The connection from the VNC
                                         widget to the remote console
                                         needs to be secured and
                                         authenticated

Dogtail tests           Fedora 8        We need a full set of UI tests
                                         now that the UI is somewhat
                                         stabilized.

--Hugh

--