[et-mgmt-tools] kickstart file issue

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 16:25:19 UTC 2007

John.Sanabria at ece.uprm.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had created a kickstart file, with kickstart tool. When i create the
> profile to consider it i submit next command, and corresponding output:
>
>  [root at reboot xentemplate]# cobbler profile add
> --name="xentemplate-profile" --distro="xentemplate"
> --kickstart=/root/another.cfg --virt-name="xentemplate"
> --virt-file-size=3 --virt-ram=256
> [root at reboot xentemplate]# cobbler sync
> del /var/www/cobbler/images
> del /var/www/cobbler/profiles
> del /var/www/cobbler/systems
> del /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts
> del /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys
> del /var/www/cobbler/distros
> del /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
> del /tftpboot/images
> koan path =
> loader path = /var/lib/cobbler/elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
> loader new name = elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
> destpath = /tftpboot/elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
> /var/lib/cobbler/elilo-3.6-ia64.efi -> /tftpboot/elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
> loader path = /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0
> loader new name = pxelinux.0
> destpath = /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
> /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0 -> /tftpboot/pxelinux.0
> /root/vmlinuz -> /tftpboot/images/xentemplate/vmlinuz
> /root/initrd.img -> /tftpboot/images/xentemplate/initrd.img
> /root/vmlinuz -> /var/www/cobbler/images/xentemplate/vmlinuz
> /root/initrd.img -> /var/www/cobbler/images/xentemplate/initrd.img
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line
> 753, in mkdir
>     return os.makedirs(path,mode)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/os.py", line 159, in makedirs
>     mkdir(name, mode)
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ks.cfg'
> 2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line
> 350, in validate_kickstarts_per_profile
>     self.apply_template(kickstart_path, meta, dest)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line
> 440, in apply_template
>     self.mkdir(os.path.basename(out_path))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/action_sync.py", line
> 758, in mkdir
>     raise cexceptions.CobblerException("no_create", path)
> CobblerException: 'cobbler could not create: ks.cfg'
> Error while mirroring kickstart file (/root/another.cfg) to
> (/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/xentemplate-profile/ks.cfg)
>
> what am i doing wrong? thanks a lot.
>
>                     (`'`'`'`'`)
>                      |       |
>                      |       |
>                      |       |
>     -----..        (()----   |
>    |        ||     (_        |
>    |        ||       |       |
>    |        ||       |       |
>    |        ||       /\   ..--
>    '--------''   /\  ||-''    \
>       /   \      \ \//   ,,   \---.
>    .---------.    \./ |~| /__\  \  |
> ___|_________|__|""-.___ / ||   |  |
> [...]

The tracebacks look a bit odd.   Can you verify that /root/anaconda.ks
is a file and that /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts and
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/xentemplate-profile are directories?

If you hand edit the configuration (/var/lib/cobbler/profiles) it is
possible to change the kickstart parameter to a file that
is no longer present, and that might cause an error.   This is usually
the cause of such problems.

Also, it's a longshot -- but is SELinux enabled?   Cobbler generally is
supposed to play nice with SELinux, but that can occasionally be a cause
of permissions errors if your configuration is a bit strange.

If I had to bet on anything, it's that the file was edited between the
first command and the second -- though you don't seem to indicate this.
If you're competent with python, adding some extra output to the
functions mentioned in the traceback may help you pin it down.   I'd be
interested to see what you might come up with.