[et-mgmt-tools] Adding a distribution - where do I put the files?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 17:39:42 UTC 2007

> First off, I do have to thank Dave a lot for making Cobbler posts on
> his site. Cobbler has changed just a little bit those original
> articles are written, and you should probably be looking at the latest
> manpage -- http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler.html
>
> The long-output command that generates what's on Dave's site is now
> "cobbler report", and "cobbler list" has been abbreviated to make it
> more usable. That's why the output looks different.
>> Distros:
>> var_www_cobbler_kickstarts_Fedora6_images_pxeboot
>> var_www_cobbler_kickstarts_Fedora6_images_xen
>> Repos:
>> Profiles:
>> var_www_cobbler_kickstarts_Fedora6_images_pxeboot
>> var_www_cobbler_kickstarts_Fedora6_images_xen
>> Systems:
> This actually looks fine, as it shows cobbler has imported 2 distros
> and made a profile for each of them. That's good.

Let me retract that. That means import worked, though the directory you
copied files to will likely be destroyed by cobbler, since that's a
directory cobbler uses for it's own purposes. If you had importanted
into another directory, like, say, /opt/kickstarts, you'd be a lot
better off. Again, the rsync:// import works very well and is a good way
to go.

Just run "cobbler profile remove --name=x" for each of the profiles
above, and then do the same for the distros, and you can start over. The
import worked, that's just not a good place to put those files (it would
be about as safe as putting them in /tmp).