[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager 0.3.1 / virt-install 0.101.0 releases

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 22:12:46 UTC 2007

Following on from the recent release of libvirt 0.2.0, I'm pleased to
announce the releases of virt-manager 0.3.1, and virt-install 0.101.0
are now available for download from:

  http://virt-manager.org/download.html

* Virtual Machine Manager 0.3.1 *

  This release introduces support for managing QEMU / KVM virtual machines
  using the new libvirt QEMU driver backend. This requires a new libvirt
  (at least 0.2.0) to enable the QEMU driver. It also requires an install
  of the virtinst package of at least version 0.101.0 to support QEMU. The
  dual cursor problem is worked around by grabbing the mouse pointer upon
  first button press (release with Ctrl+Alt). The progress bar display when
  creating new VMs has had its appearance tweaked. The new VM creation
  wizard also allows the user to specify the type of guest OS being installed.
  This will allow the setup of virtual hardware to be optimized for the needs
  of specific guest OS.

  http://virt-manager.org/download/sources/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.3.1.tar.gz

* Virt Install 0.101.0 *

  This release introduces the first support for provisioning of QEMU / KVM
  virtual machines. This requires an updated libvirt of at least 0.2.0 to
  enable the qemu driver. The code for fetching bootable kernel/initrd images
  has been refactored to facilitate porting to deal with other non Fedora /
  RHEL operating systems. Prototype support for dealing with SuSE paravirtualized
  installs is provided. The bootable ISO image for fully virtualized installs
  can also be fetched at runtime from an NFS/HTTP/FTP site, or equivalent
  initrd and kernels for baremetal. A list of guest operating systems is now
  maintained to enable virtual hardware configuration to be optimized to suit
  a particular guest OS.

  http://virt-manager.org/download/sources/virtinst/virtinst-0.101.0.tar.gz

NB, the QEMU / KVM support is at a very early stage of development - we
have released this snapshot just to get it is exposed to the real world.
We fully expect people to find a wide variety of bugs - the next release
of libvirt & virt-manager will apply far more polish to the QEMU support
to get it into a generally usable state.

NB, to use QEMU support in virt-install, you must supply an explicit connect
URI for the hypervisor. eg virt-install --connect qemu:///session

Regards,
Dan.