[et-mgmt-tools] PXE boot menus & older versions of pxelinux/syslinux

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Fri Feb 23 14:05:36 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I've noticed that the pxelinux that ships with RHEL4 (test platform:
> RHEL4U4) does not work well at all with new PXE menus, though the
> version shipping with FC6 works great.   Basically it doesn't understand
> the menu label options.
>
> If you have RHEL4's version of syslinux installed, the fix here is to
> install a newer syslinux.   I'll file the bug for good measure (if this
> is even a bug?) and may bundle a known-good pxelinux.0 in the next
> release.    The workaround is pretty simple though.   If anyone still
> has questions, feel free to ask.

Finally got the time to try out the newer 0.4.2 version.. the default
menu gets created nicely and i am trying to use a local kickstart file
rather than a URL (to explore templating options)..

However, while trying to pxeboot a test server, it just stays at the
menu (tab works fine though).. looks like i need to upgrade syslinux OR
pxelinux.0 as you've mentioned. Now since syslinux needs an upgrade (the
latest being 3.36) do you have any recommendations for the version?

- dhawal