[et-mgmt-tools] RHEL4 Cobbler Setup

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 19:13:57 UTC 2007

Matt S Unix Administrator wrote:
> How might one import RHEL 4 into cobbler from the installation media.
> Such that the installation can be completed over the network. I've got a
> functional cobbler install already with several distributions.

All you have to do is copy over the files from each CD into a directory
somewhere on your cobbler server.  You'll want to preserve the directory
layout that was on the CD.

A good place to put this tree is
/var/lib/cobbler/localmirror/rhel4$type$arch, though if you don't want
to take up space in /var, you could just create a symlink to that point
and put the files somewhere else.   (Note:  If not running Cobbler
0.3.6, this would require manually configuring Apache to follow
symlinks, 0.3.5 sets this up for you automatically).   The name
"localmirror" is special, if you name it something else, cobbler will
probably delete it for you, thinking it's content that shouldn't live in
/var/lib/cobbler.

These files really don't have to be on the cobbler server, either.   In
my setup, I just symlink a path to the kickstart trees that Red Hat
stores on NFS shares, i.e. /mnt/foo/something/RHEL4/AS/tree.    Samba
would technically work too if you are so inclined.

With the content already accessible from /var/lib/cobbler, you just use
the following URL in your kickstart file:

url --url=http://$server/cobbler/localmirror/RHEL4/AS/i386/tree
(for cobbler 0.3.6, use "cobbler_track" instead of "cobbler" in the URL
if you want to use kickstart tracking)