[et-mgmt-tools] Cluster Provisioning

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 15:23:01 UTC 2007

Ronald Valente wrote:
> Our labs are set to run PXE boot by default in the BIOS and that
> cannot change. Which is going to require some way to get the machines
> with the small local install. I agree that the OS should be installed
> on the machines but getting it there is the current issue. If the OS
> is run locally then we do not need anything like a distributed file
> system. This is because condor (the high performance computing app)
> that we are using handles all that. We just need a way to get the
> machines from there normal lab imaging environment to our modified
> provisioning environment.
>
> Regards,
> Ron Valente

I guess the last line in your email is your question... if not, please
ask one, and I'll try to answer it instead :)

Should you just want to use Cobbler to control PXE this block of
machines, set the DHCP next-server information for the machines in
question to point to your cobbler server. It is possible to specify
different PXE servers for different machines based on their mac address
information in /etc/dhcpd.conf.
Cobbler doesn't require that you run it on the dhcp server or that it's
the only PXE server on your network.

Alternatively, you could convert your entire Linux provisioning
environment over to cobbler and let it manage both environments as well
as your dhcpd.conf configuration. This is what the cobbler
"distro/profile/system" three-tiered concept is really intended for. You
could have one or more profiles assigned to your regular machines, and a
different profile (that does the condor setup, etc) assigned to your
cluster machines.

--Michael