[et-mgmt-tools] VMware?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 15:33:27 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:
> Cobbler / Koan supports Xen virtualization.
>
> Has anyone looked at what it would take to get koan working
> on other virtualization platforms?  I have a VMware ESX box
> I'd like to be able to use it on.

Not to my knowledge -- though I like the idea.

As far as I'm aware, vmware does understand PXE installation, so koan
would just need a way to create an "empty" guest
that would PXE itself.   I know this is the plan for how we're going to
support fully automatic installs for other
virtualization types like KVM, Xen hardware virt, etc.

If there are any VMware experts on the list, patches would be great :)

It seems like the syntax needed would not need to even access the
cobbler server the way --virt does today, ex:

koan --virt --virt-type=vmware --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --virt-name=foo
[...other options...]

--virt-type could default to "xenparavirt" and current behavior.