[et-mgmt-tools] VMware?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:13:34 UTC 2007

Things are working well on the ESX box now that I'm past the cobbler
and kickstart misconfigurations.

Every time I create an new vm I need to take a trip though VMware's
Virtual Infrastructure Client, that I'd really like to avoid.  VMware
has a few more options to besides ram and disk space to configure
before creating a VM.  Haven't taken a close enough look to know
either how difficult it will be to live without being able to set them
when the VM is created, or how difficult it would be to extend cobbler
to handle more VM attributes, or how this maps into all the other
virtualization toolsets.

On 7/2/07, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com > wrote:

> drew einhorn wrote:
> > Cobbler / Koan supports Xen virtualization.
> >
> > Has anyone looked at what it would take to get koan working
> > on other virtualization platforms?  I have a VMware ESX box
> > I'd like to be able to use it on.
> >

> Not to my knowledge -- though I like the idea.
>
> As far as I'm aware, vmware does understand PXE installation, so koan
> would just need a way to create an "empty" guest
> that would PXE itself.   I know this is the plan for how we're going to
> support fully automatic installs for other
> virtualization types like KVM, Xen hardware virt, etc.
>
> If there are any VMware experts on the list, patches would be great :)
>
> It seems like the syntax needed would not need to even access the
> cobbler server the way --virt does today, ex:
>
> koan --virt --virt-type=vmware --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --virt-name=foo
> [...other options...]
>
> --virt-type could default to "xenparavirt" and current behavior.
>
> --Michael

Drew Einhorn