[et-mgmt-tools] VMware?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 14:44:52 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:
> Things are working well on the ESX box now that I'm past the cobbler
> and kickstart misconfigurations.
>
> Every time I create an new vm I need to take a trip though VMware's
> Virtual Infrastructure Client, that I'd really like to avoid.  VMware
> has a few more options to besides ram and disk space to configure
> before creating a VM.  Haven't taken a close enough look to know
> either how difficult it will be to live without being able to set them
> when the VM is created, or how difficult it would be to extend cobbler
> to handle more VM attributes, or how this maps into all the other
> virtualization toolsets.

Can you see if VMware has any docs for command line creation of guests?

If so, those attributes could be added in koan fairly easily.   I don't
have a test platform,
but would be more than happy to code something up in koan if someone
wanted to test the proof
of concept.   Tracking a few additional attributes in cobbler wouldn't
be a problem.