[et-mgmt-tools] Revisor / Cobbler and Revisor for CentOS5/RHEL5

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 23:19:18 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

>>> That would be the stock F7 kernel including the updated F7 kernel having
>>> trouble with detecting hard drives in computers, not Revisor ;-)
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Jeroen van Meeuwen
>>> -kanarip
>>>

>> s/Revisor/Revisor output/...
>>

> Let's not play that game; it's not Revisor (nor it's output) rather then
> we just spun you /a/ disc that showed you how koan /could be/ a livecd.
> We could have done so on CentOS 4.0-5, 5, Fedora Core 6 and/or Fedora 7.
> The latter being the buggy one not recognizing some drives. Again, *not*
> Revisor (and *not* it's output either). It seems we shouldn't have done
> that, just so that we could keep up appearances. If that all doesn't
> sound "enterprisey" enough, download the kickstart and build a CentOS
> based Koan LiveCD, or let me know and I'll build you one.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

Jerowen,

There's no game.   That's great if Revisor Live CD output for other
distros would not have this problem.

I believe Jon indicated on IRC that Revisor had issues about detecting
drives because of it's usage of a newer-than-normal libata (or somesuch)
and that you were seeing  frequent issues with SATA and ATA drives on
sda not showing up.  I do know that F7's installer on this particular
machine does accurately detect the drives in question, so it doesn't
seem to be a kernel problem.   I asked if this was being looked at, and
was told I would need to fix it myself.    Fair enough.   I'd prefer to
not debug that if I don't have to.

I'm currently looking at livecd-creator because Fedora uses it and it's
really all I need.   LiveCD creator appears to do what I want, and if
Revisor
wants to build koan Live CD's, that's great too.   In the end, the tool
doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done for the people who use it.