[et-mgmt-tools] Revisor / Cobbler and Revisor for CentOS5/RHEL5

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Jul 6 10:09:51 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I believe Jon indicated on IRC that Revisor had issues about detecting
> drives because of it's usage of a newer-than-normal libata (or somesuch)
> and that you were seeing  frequent issues with SATA and ATA drives on
> sda not showing up.  I do know that F7's installer on this particular
> machine does accurately detect the drives in question, so it doesn't
> seem to be a kernel problem.   I asked if this was being looked at, and
> was told I would need to fix it myself.    Fair enough.   I'd prefer to
> not debug that if I don't have to.

Luckily the F7 installer doesn't use mayflower to compose initrd's, but
(upstream!) livecd-tools does. I'm not sure if that actually contributes
in creating the issue but it sure is one difference.

> I'm currently looking at livecd-creator because Fedora uses it and it's
> really all I need.   LiveCD creator appears to do what I want, and if
> Revisor
> wants to build koan Live CD's, that's great too.   In the end, the tool
> doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done for the people who use it.

Frankly, Revisor uses that same livecd-tools. We're as close to upstream
as we can be, given that we have to clone their codebase to be able to
create a file that does allow python to import it, and allow further
customization by importing that and extending it where we need to. If
someone can hand us a case where the same media created with
livecd-tools does work, and the media created with livecd-tools via
Revisor doesn't, then I'll be the first to admit it's my mistake after
all and Revisor is to blame.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip