[et-mgmt-tools] [Fwd: Kickstart Tips and Tricks]

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:37:16 UTC 2007

This paper suggests considering Kickstart Configurator (KC).

This was one of the first tools I tried.  I found it unsatisfactory.

It choked on reading a network configuration with a secondary dns server.

I don't like the way it writes it's kickstart files.  I write my kickstart
files
with the commands in a logical order that makes more sense to me.
After I make changes using KC the order of the commands is
scrambled.  And lines I have commented out because I don't want them
in the current config, but may change my mind and reinstate them
later just disappear.

Think there was one more issue but I can't remember it right now.

Anyway I decided it way more trouble that it was worth, and
stopped using it.

On 7/9/07, Michael DeHaan < mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:

> This post from kickstart list contains some interesting items related to
> Kickstart Fu that would probably be of interest to most people here who
> are
> interested in provisioning.    Cobbler has a cameo.   Thanks, Chip!
>
> If you are not already on kickstart-list, it's
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/kickstart-list
>
> --Michael
>
>  All,
>
> As promised, I have finally completed the presentation for LinuxWorld and
> welcome feedback and corrections:
>
> http://www.shabazian.com/lw2007.pdf
>
> Thanks, and I hope it's useful to someone.
>
> Chip

Drew Einhorn