[et-mgmt-tools] [Fwd: Kickstart Tips and Tricks]

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 21:43:05 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:
> This paper suggests considering Kickstart Configurator (KC).
>
> This was one of the first tools I tried.  I found it unsatisfactory.
>
> It choked on reading a network configuration with a secondary dns server.
>
> I don't like the way it writes it's kickstart files.  I write my
> kickstart files
> with the commands in a logical order that makes more sense to me.
> After I make changes using KC the order of the commands is
> scrambled.  And lines I have commented out because I don't want them
> in the current config, but may change my mind and reinstate them
> later just disappear.
>
> Think there was one more issue but I can't remember it right now.
>
> Anyway I decided it way more trouble that it was worth, and
> stopped using it.

system-config-kickstart is quite useful for exploring choices in
kickstart options.

It is true that pykickstart can choke on loading some variations of
kickstart files, however.   In which case,
it's still a nice starting point for building something from scratch,
and you can refine the results later.

Anyhow, this is more on-topic for kickstart-list :)