[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 02:49:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:43:42PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 23:59 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:31:24AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > >
> > > My intention was to have that all in the image tag:
> > >
> > > <image>
> > >   <machine/>
> > >   <machine/>
> > >   <network/>
> > >   <storage/>
> > > </image>
> > >
> > > That way, the relative position of existing tags doesn't change, though
> > > it's really not much of a difference. (Though I find having all the
> > > storage in one place a little cleaner)
> >
> > So <storage> is a single top level grouping for multiple <disk> elements,
> > while <machine> and <network> are multiple top level elements with no
> > grouping.
> >
> > For consistentency perhaps we should either
> >
> >   - Kill <storage> and have <disk> at top level
> >
> > Or
> >
> >   - Add <machines>  and <networks>  for grouping the multiple machine
> >     and network elements.
>
> I don't follow this - yes, in the abstract it makes sense; but when I
> look at an actual image.xml, having the storage element there seems to
> make the XML clearer. I'd change it if that is seen as the crucial issue
> keeping these patches from being committed. Otherwise, I'd prefer
> leaving <storage> as it is.

I actually agree that having the storage element for grouping the invidual
disks makes it a little clearer. What about the alternative of having a
grouping element for <network> and <machine> too ?

> > BTW, I thing <machine> is better called <domain> for consistency with the
> > match the libvirt terminology.
>
> Heh ;) I had that at some point and somebody objected to calling that
> <domain> .. I'll change the code to use <domain>

Hmm, I hope it wasn't me who objected - that'd be embarassing to be changing
my mind every few emails ;-)

Dan.