[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler Live CD -- success!

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 21:36:56 UTC 2007

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Very cool. So is this outside the Revisor effort or begining results
> of it?
>
> Aaron

This is using upstream livecd-creator, not Revisor, which is based on
livecd-creator.   I do not intend to move to Revisor for this.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

That being said, the base.cfg in koan's tree may be compatible with
Revisor if they want to use it for something -- however there's not much
need for it being created with a different tool as I can see.   The
reason for this is that koan only needs the live CD for a temporary
runtime -- enough to prepare a disk as scratch space for a forthcoming
running of koan, a reboot, and installation from there via grub and
anaconda -- just like replace-self works on a existing linux system
without the Live CD.   livecd-creator already allows us to pull that
content from repos of our choice -- and we already know what kickstart
we want to use.   So, it serves as something to bootstrap a "PXE like"
configuration -- and unlike the aforementioned rescue-disk-kickstart
solution (which is also cool) -- this provides a universal installer
that can be distro agnostic.  So, from
that one F7 CD, you might install RHEL3 or Fedora 6 ... it doesn't
matter ... cobbler can decide based on the system info.

It may be interesting to explore other uses of Live CDs/disks from
livecd-creator -- There may be some use for creating a boot image that
serves as a minimal diskless virtual host, provisioned with guests
automagically from cobbler (cobbler itself needs to evolve to serve
existing images), with the guests pointing towards network storage.
This would allow turning various hardware into Linux boxes when, say,
booted from USB keys or just regular (non-install) PXE images.   However
that's kind of far out there.
If there are existing use cases that folks use today, or would like to
follow up on, please share...

If you want to build this, just follow the instructions in the previous
email and you should be good to go.   I am guessing that the tool probably
builds best on F7, but the output CD will be usable for any distro you
would want to provision.