[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-disk-path selection patch and other virt. attributes...

Adam Rosenwald thestrider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:46:45 UTC 2007

Thanks, Michael!  See inline for comments...

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I've checked in some modifications to the --virt-path code and
> rearranged it somewhat.
>
> To use a standard disk image with koan:
>    leave --virt-path off and assume defaults (like /var/lib/xen/images)
While observing this (reasonable -- although should be documented in
Koan (if not already)) default, I think a free-space check is in order
for the filesystem that contains /var/lib/xen/images.  If there is not
enough free space to accommodate --virt-size, then an error message
should be printed out.  The current (virtinst?) reaction is to let the
filesystem fill up to 100% and /then* */alert the user about free
space.  This doesn't make sense, and either cobbler/koan or dependency
libraries should show awareness of this problem.
>    or specify --virt-path=/path/to/directory
What will the full virtual path be then? /path/to/directory/<name>?
/path/to/directory/<mac>?
>    or specify --virt-path=/path/to/directory/filename
>
> To use an existing partition:
>    specify --virt-path=/dev/sda4, or equivalent
>
> To carve out of a chunk of a volume group, of the requested
> --virt-size, using the name cobbler would ordinarily choose:
>    have an existing LVM volume group named something, such as
> VolGroup00, with some free space on it
>    specify --virt-path=VolGroup00, or equivalent
>    or be more specific:  --virt-path=VolGroup00 --virt-name=asdf
> (this creates /dev/mapper/VolGroup00/asdf)
The --virt-name can be confusing with --name.  What's wrong with
--virt-vg=VolGroup00 --virt-lv=asdf?  Or --virt-path=VG:[LV]?  To make
the second form clearer, '--virt-path=VolGroup00:' (notice the trailing
colon) or '--virt-path=VolGroup00:asdf'.

If you were concerned about the rare case where VolGroup or LogVol
included a colon in the name (e.g. "VolGroup\:" or "Log\:Vol00"), the
colon-checking could check for the existence of colons in the actual
filename and ignore them.  Honestly, I don't think anyone would ever
consciously put a colon in their device name, unless (s)he were mad!
And this is a reasonable assumption!

> Sidenote -- I've tested the above with qemu-kvm and they perform quite
> well.    When virt-manager's next-release supports installing these
> via kickstart locations (like Xen), I'll move the kvm bits over to use
> virtinst -- until then, qemu-kvm systems created with koan do not show up
> in virt-manager and you have to use the standard KVM tools for basic
> management.   That should change very shortly.
>
> Additionally I've added a --virt-graphics flag to koan which enables
> VNC in both virt types ("qemu", "xenpv").    virt-graphics is
> currently not read as a default
Cool!  Should --virt-graphics check for the existence of vnc?  Or are
you satisfied with xenlibs' awkward stack tracing output?
> value from cobbler, but it probably should be.  --virt-path and
> --virt-type can be passed to both koan and cobbler (profile add and
> system add).
Awesome!  Would you like me to follow your example in implementing the
other koan virt attributes?  Or do you have these covered?

-A.