[et-mgmt-tools] On HVM in virt-manager

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 14:27:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 10:05:55PM +0800, Henry Zhang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When I run virt-manger 0.4, and try to create the HVM guest, I noticed
> there is option for OS Type, if I want to install Solaris, I think I
> should select UNIX, then in OS Variant, I can see only Solairs 10 and
> Solaris 9. And in fact Solaris have Nevada, it's the developing HEAD
> Solaris, if I would like to install it, which I should select?

It doesn't particularly matter - pick the closest match - or none at all.
Its merely a install hint.

> My understanding to HVM is that we can install any OS without any
> change, if this machine have special CPU, so why we need to select the
> OS Type/Variant? If I don't select both OS Type and variant, is it ok? :)

These values are optional - they merely a hint to let us set up the virtual
hardware in a slightly more optimal way for a particular OS. eg, with
Windows we will set the BIOS clock to 'localtime' instead of 'utc'.

Dan.