[et-mgmt-tools] Xen Guest installation using incorrect bridge

Caetano, Greg Greg.Caetano at hp.com
Thu Jul 26 13:56:27 UTC 2007

This may be related to the issue I was having previously when the Xen
guest was not receiving a DHCP address but the scenario now is:

On a RHEL5 AP system (kernel 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5xen and xen
3.0.3-25.0.3.el5) during a "new machine" create using the Virtual
Machine Manager, the guest starts and appears in the VMM window but is
paused. A dialog box then appears stating:

virDomainCreateLinux() failed

If I used "virsh dumpxml" on the guest I see the "source bridge" as
"xenbr1" for my network interface.

How is the source bridge selected?

I only have a xenbr0 defined on the system although I do have two
functioning network interfaces:

Local rack network: eth0 192.168.0.0 network
External rack network: eth1 10.100.100.0 network and default
gateway/route to the rest of the world

I have one change in xend-config.sxp to have the guests only use eth0:
#(network-script network-bridge)
(network-script 'network-bridge bridge=xenbr0 netdev=eth0')

# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              peth0
                                                        vif0.1

I get the same results using virt-install as well.

I can get around the issue if I pass the correct bridge to the
virt-install program (virt-install -b xenbr0)

Thanks
greg

Greg Caetano
greg.caetano at hp.com