[et-mgmt-tools] Exception: Domain named %s already exists

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 12:07:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 09:18:17AM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just seen this error:
>
> Unable to complete install 'exceptions.RuntimeError Domain named tilix
> already exists!
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 681, in
> do_install
>     dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 649,
> in start_install
>     return self._do_install(consolecb, meter)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 658,
> in _do_install
>     raise RuntimeError, "Domain named %s already exists!" %(self.name,)
> RuntimeError: Domain named tilix already exists!
> '
>
> Is this a bug or intentionally? I remember in older version of
> virtManager one can use the same name and the config file was overwritten.

Yep this is intentionale to protect people against typo which accidentally
overwrite their VM. The main guest list window has a 'delete' button to
let you remove existing VM & its config, at which point you'll get past
this check.

BTW, did you get a popup  dialog box showing you the error, or was it
merely logged to the console as this stack trace ?  It should popup a
dialog & its a bug if it doesn/t

Regards,
Dan.