[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 19:58:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 13:46 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I'm finding this matchup between guest type and files a little wierd and
> wondering how well it will work in practice. In the example there you are
> basically distributing a single root filesystem, and then separate /boot
> filesystems which are then matched up depending on whether todo HVM vs
> paravirt.

The other use case that this is working towards is that of matching an
existing VM image to a (set of) hosts it can possibly run on. Think of
this in the context of a big data center mgmt tool: you have a large
number of hosts, with some variation on the exact virt platform they are
running.

You'd like your tool to be able to place a VM (image) intelligently on
an appropriate host - and the first question you need to answer is 'Can
this guest run on this host'; the virt-image code is of course only a
small fraction of what you'll wind up needing, but it's a first small
step in that direction.

David