[et-mgmt-tools] [RFC]The Collision of LVM UUID by Cloning

Kazuki Mizushima mizushima.kazuk at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Jun 13 08:12:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'd been testing the cloning by virt-clone.
The isuue that wanted to discuss was found.

It's Collision of LVM UUID(PV/VG/LV) between original
guest and clone guest. This state may occur frequently
because default installation is LVM constitution.

Cloning aims at creating a just duplication as it except
informations that must not overlap as a virtual machine.
And it is necessary for a user to edit peculiar information
of the OS and Middlewares.

I think that this isuue is OS. So, my opinion is that it is OK.
And I'd been checking a virtual machine statup normally.

But I understand that a user cannot easily renew it and
be slightly anxious for the upper product judging by LVM uuids.
(I do not at least know.)

Had better virt-clone changes those uuid or are there any another
easy way/idea for a user ?  Any comments are welcome !

Thanks,
Kazuki Mizushima