[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler & inherited profiles

Adam Rosenwald thestrider at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 07:23:24 UTC 2007

Two questions:

Question: What count as inheritable attributes?  Naturally, --name is
not inheritable.  But what about --uuid or --disk-location (when these
are later moved from koan to cobbler :) )?  --disk-location might be
unique on a given physical system X; i.e. once I provision virtual
system Y on physical system X with --disk-location=Z, Z cannot be used
as a disk location for any other virtual system on physical system X.
But when the context shifts to more than one physical system,
--disk-location can suddenly be an attribute worth inheriting, say, if
all web servers (implemented as virtual systems) hosted on all physical
systems use --disk-location=Z.

Question:  What are "reasonable defaults"?  For instance, in the case of
--vcpus, the default is currently set to "1" in koan.  This isn't that
great of an example, as --vcpus is not currently customizable without
modifying koan code (BTW, an effort is being made to move virt
attributes from koan to cobbler profiles, to address this issue).  In
some cases, perhaps the default attributes can be set to "DYNAMIC",
where information gathered from proc or sysfs can fill in the values
later on koan's end.  In the --vcpus example, if the physical system
only has one physical CPU (no hyperthreading, additional cores for the
sake of argument), --vcpus should be one.  If the physical system has
multiple CPUs, cores, and/or hyperthreading, the dynamically-generated
value can be computed on Koan's end.  Disk size and RAM are other
potential candidates for dynamic default values.

The benefit of profile inheritance within the context of these questions
is enormous, as entire data center provisioning topologies can be gotten
from a simple "cobbler list".  With profile inheritance, it may be
beneficial to change the cobbler list functionality (or at least to
provide an command-line argument) to provide a tree structure.  This
could, in essence, show something like the following crude picture (P
being profiles without systems yet provisioned; S being systems):

Data Center
---------------
+

+-----------+subnet2+---------+functional group1+

/ \

/   \

+    +

P1    P2
+
subnet1+--------+functional group2+----------+
+                                                                   /|\
|                                                                   / |  \
|                                                                  /  |   \
|                                                                 /   |    \
|                                                                +   +   +
|                                                                S1 S2 S3
+
functional group3+-------+S4

...where each branch is a profile and each leaf is either a system or a
profile.  As the number of profiles and systems grows, some
organizational tool like the above (although much better than the above
:) ) can help traverse the inheritance tree.

Just a thought,

 - A.

---

Great work, BTW, Michael.  :)  Can't wait for 0.6!