[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-manager won't connect to Xen hypervisor

Steve Brueckner steve at atc-nycorp.com
Thu Jun 14 17:21:20 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:04:51PM -0400, Steve Brueckner wrote:
>> Hugh Brock wrote:
>>>>
>>> We're going to need some more information: /var/log/xend/xend.log,
>>> /root/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log, and the libvirt version you
>>> are using. Are you using our xen 3.1 package (from Fedora 7) or
>>> XenSource's?
>>>
>> I've attached the logs you requested, plus 4 xen config files in case
>> the problem lies there.
>
> Indeed it does. You need to edit xend-config.sxp and set
>
> (xend-unix-server yes)
>
> And then reboot or restart xend.

Yup, that's it, thanks.  I began to suspect it was something like this,
but couldn't find any documentation about virt-manager's needs for
connecting to xend.  Is the XenSource tarball's default out of date and
should they use the unix server by default?  Or is this interface used
only by some apps like virt-manager?

Also, I don't know if you're worried about the secondary warning I got:

***MEMORY-WARNING***: virt-manager.py[4554]: GSlice: g_thread_init()
must be called before all other GLib functions; memory corruption due
to late invocation of g_thread_init() has been detected; this program
is likely to crash, leak or unexpectedly abort soon...

Thanks again,

Steve Brueckner, ATC-NY