[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler & inherited profiles

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 16:08:13 UTC 2007

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> I'll take a look at it. I think the largest issue is going to be my
> lack of python skills. Where in the code should I start?

I'd check out Revisor's source and see how they build CD images, build
something based on that.   Also
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi

This seems like it will almost certainly require a distribution that is
pulled in via a "cobbler import" so that all of the tree data is there.
It should also
look at the cobbler profile to determine what other repositories
("cobbler repo add") have been added to it, and also put a copy of
packages used in those
repositories on the CD.

You'd probably have to use something like pykickstart to parse the
package list out of the kickstart to keep the
CD images small -- or otherwise just require DVD usage.   However
pykickstart won't run on the templates directly.  Instead, look in
/var/lib/cobbler/kickstarts/$name and use the rendered template out of
there for parsing/inclusion.

I'd try this as a stand alone program using the cobbler API at first,
and if useful, it can be integrated into Cobbler later.

> This is going to be more of an issue for me soon because I just got my
> ks file as perfect as I can until some bugs are fixed on code outside
> my control.
>
> I was told to make the testing 'caveman simple' so 'plug in the cd'
> seems simple.

Not as simple to implement, unfortunately :)