[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 03:25:30 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 14:51 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>   - Including vcpu, memory, graphics and nic in this metadata is mixing
>     up two things - the things the image need in order to boot and the
>     defaults recommended when instantiating a guest with the image.
>     Perhaps put them in a different toplevel element e.g.
>
>       <image>
>         <boot_options>
>            <boot>
>         </boot_options>
>         <storage>
>             <disk>
>         </storage>
>         <defaults>
>           <memory>
>           <vcpus>
>         </defaults>
>       </image>

After looking at this again, I realized that you think of the metadata
slightly differently than I do: note that  I don't have a <boot_options>
tag, I rather have a <machine> tag, that describes the attributes of a
virtual machine. The reason for structuring it this way is that if we
ever need multi-VM appliances, it's at least obvious how the metadata
format should be extended.

Having a <defaults> section at the level you suggest would make
describing a multi-VM image kidna hairy.

>    - This looks odd:
>
> +    order = [ "xen", "kvm", "kqemu", "qemu" ]
> +    for o in order:
> +        if types.count(o) > 0:
>
>      i.e. it'd be better not to have to keep that list updated. How
>      about you just pick the first type? If libvirt doesn't order the
>      list of available types in a useful order, maybe it should?

I've punted on this for now, and justed added a FIXME comment in the
code :(

David