[et-mgmt-tools] Re: About keeping the cdrom in the permanent XML for a guest after install

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 17:14:13 UTC 2007

Oops, meant to reply to the list, not just to Nobuhiro-san...

Nobuhiro Itou wrote:
 > Hi, Hugh
 >
 > I have an opinion about the following corrections.
 > https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-June/msg00124.html
 >
 > I think that this correction has added the procedure to the Linux
guest user.
 > In case of Linux, if installation is finished, the cdrom (/dev/cdrom)
is not necessary.
 > The user has to detach one by one.
 >
 > And, before correction, the cdrom with no source was attached after
installation. Isn't it enough for Windows? xm block-configure exchange
the cdrom when Windows asks for it,
 > and since the cdrom with no source is positioning like the physics CD
device with no media, it is not necessary to detach it after use.

 > I recognize the problem of Windows had been already solved before
correction.

 > Cannot you retrieve to the state before this correction?
 >

 > Thanks,
 > Nobuhiro Itou.

Hi there.

I still prefer the idea of leaving the CDROM mounted because the
heuristic we use to determine if a Windows guest is being installed is a
big hack, and because we don't use that code at all in virt-manager and
I would like the cdrom to stay mounted by default in virt-manager
installs as well.

However, if the earlier behavior is useful to anyone, I'd be happy to
take a patch for a virtinst argument that would direct virtinst not to
include the cdrom device in the post-install guest description.

Take care,
--Hugh

--
Red Hat Virtualization Group http://redhat.com/virtualization