[et-mgmt-tools] Where is the Configuration File?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 22:07:15 UTC 2007

Hugh Brock wrote:
> Steve Brueckner wrote:
>> Hugh Brock wrote:
>>> With xen 3.1, config information for guests is no longer in /etc/xen,
>>> nor is it modifiable by editing a config file. XenSource decided it
>>> was better to hide the config information.
>>> Virt-manager gets information about active and inactive guests by
>>> querying libvirt for them. libvirt then turns around and asks xend,
>>> or whatever hypervisor you are using, for the information and returns
>>> it. for You can do the same thing from the command line with "virsh
>>> dumpxml <guest>".
>>> --Hugh
>>
>> What is the new "Xen way" of creating VMs?  That is, without using
>> virt-manager, how do they recommend users do things?  Their user
>> manual is still stuck at version 3.0.
>>
>> Steve Brueckner, ATC-NY
>>
> Hi.
>
> Well, if you don't want to do "virsh define <domain.xml>" to define a
> guest, you can now do much the same thing with xm. "xm help" seems to
> be the best documentation for the 3.1 features.
>
> --Hugh
>

 >> What is the new "Xen way" of creating VMs?  That is, without using
virt-manager, how do they recommend users do things?

I'm not sure what prompted the question, but if you're looking for a
good command line way of creating virtual machines, for paravirt, koan
does this.

See http://cobbler.et.redhat.com

There's also virt-install, which also works

Neither of those do parameter tweaking for post-install changes, so
using virsh there is the way to go.