[et-mgmt-tools] Released -- Cobbler 0.4.3 - kickstart selection bug?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 15:39:24 UTC 2007

Msquared wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:46:25PM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>

>> Cobbler 0.4.3
>>

> When I ran an import of a DVD with
>
>   cobbler --import --mirror=root at localhost:/media/cdrom/ --mirror-name=fedora6
>
> the profiles (one for pxeboot, one for xen) both had virt_paravirt: True
> set, and they both had /etc/kickstart_fc5.ks selected, instead of
> kickstart_fc6.ks or kickstart_fc6_DomU.ks selected.
>
> Regards, Msquared...

Good catch. This is because your creative use of the rsync import
feature isn't going against a full tree as it was originally intended.
We rely on the tree looking something like a public mirror (with
directories like FC6) in order to choose the correct kickstart.
Currently, you can edit /var/lib/cobbler/profiles and then run "cobbler
sync" to make corrections as you would want.

It's true that the automatic kickstart mapping isn't programmed to ever
pick "kickstart_fc6_domU.ks", though it probably should learn how to do
this.
On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure, as that kickstart is an
example of a minimal domU image, which may not be appropriate for everyone.

Import should basically be viewed as a way to start building a cobbler
configuration, though a user is probably going to want to modify the
assigned kickstarts after the fact as well as create some additional
profiles.

--MPD