[et-mgmt-tools] virt-name in cobbler profile?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 15:58:33 UTC 2007

Foreman, Tim wrote:
> The man page for cobbler says:
>
> virt-name
> (optional) (Virt-only) what the Virt guest name should start with.
> Creating multiple images on a machine will cause increasing numbers
> to be appended to this name.  The default is "virtguest".
>
> When I specify a virt-name of RH4U5 and try and create multiple
> guests using koan:
> koan --virt --server=kickstart.mtc.ibsys.com \
>      --profile=rhel4u5-beta_xen_domU
>
> It creates the first one named RH4U5 but does not append a number
> to the second one and fails with an error:
>
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err "Error
> creating domain: VM name 'RH4U5' already in use by domain 2")
>
> Is this functionailty missing? Not implemented yet?

This is probably a bug.   koan keeps track of Xen names that are already
taken by looking at files in /etc/xen, so let me know if you see a
/etc/xen/RH4U5 and /etc/xen/RH4U5_1 in there.    I'm guessing koan is
confused because the first guest is still installing ...

It should be noted that the way koan looks for virtual systems is a bit
outdated.   The /etc/xen/ paths are deprecated and Xen doesn't use them
anymore.   Fortunately updating koan is on my short list...
> Also the koan man page says:
> If you add the --interactive flag, you can watch the kickstart
> as it happens in an "xm console".
>
> But koan says it doesn't know what --interactive means:
> koan: error: no such option: --interactive

Yes, koan doesn't support this anymore ... I'll remove this from the
manpage.    Thanks!