Xen and Fully Automatic Kickstarts (Was: [et-mgmt-tools] More Cobbler, Koan and Xen questions)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 21:18:07 UTC 2007

Tim Foreman asked yesterday kickstarts appear to not be used with Xen
and "koan --virt".   I found something today that might help explain
that problem.

Usually I use IP addresses in /var/lib/cobbler/settings, but today I was
testing Xen and using FQDNs.

I am not entirely sure if this helps in Tim's case, but at least on my
system, if I use hostnames in /var/lib/cobbler/settings for the server
parameter, Xen will not retrieve the kickstart -- however if I use an
IP, it does, and it's fully automatic.   (This is on FC6).

So, if you have hostnames in /var/lib/cobbler/settings, changing those
values to IPs and then running "sync" may help with Xen kickstart issues.