[et-mgmt-tools] Two Minor Problems with Cobbler

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:03:43 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking at the directory creation issue I found.

> > Second, I have two configuration changes I need made to
> > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. These have to do with NIC ordering and
> > a doc I found here:
> >
> > http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v2.pdf
> >
> > There, it suggests making two changes to the pxe configuration, adding
> > the following lines:
> >
> > IPAPPEND 2
> > APPEND ksdevice=bootif
>
> > I put a config file called default.pxe in /etc/cobbler and run cobbler
> > sync but I see a vanilla default file in
> > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default.
>
> Kickstart parameters can be managed with a cobbler profile or even on
> specific systems or distros.
>
> "cobbler profile add ... --kopts="ksdevice=bootif otheroption=blah etc
> etc foo  etc"
>
> The vanilla cobbler "default" file in recent versions now is used for
> PXE menus.   If you would like to use a specific profile as a default
> profile instead, you can do the following:
>
> cobbler system add --name=default
> --profile=name-of-profile-to-use-as-default
>
> If you have a kernel option you would like to use on every single
> cobbler profile you have, you can also add that kernel option to
> /var/lib/cobbler/settings and it will automagically appear on every
> profile and system.   (run "cobbler sync" to apply changes)

In this case, I am concerned with a problem at PXE boot time, prior to
kickstart.  In particular, the IPAPPEND 2 line above, I thought the
IPAPPEND was an element in the pxe configuration, not a kernel option.
 For ksdevice, yea, I can see how to do that now.

My point was, I didn't see a good way to make changes to
/tftboot/pxelinux.cfg/default stick.  Maybe I misunderstood the docs.
What is the point of /etc/cobbler/default.pxe?

Thanks.