[et-mgmt-tools] Low priority feature request.. (memtest distro)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 17:59:26 UTC 2007

Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> I am trying to add memtest as one of the distros..
> # cobbler distro add --name=memtest --kernel=/tmp/memtest
> cannot find kernel file
>
> # file /tmp/memtest
> /tmp/memtest: x86 boot sector
>
> A 'real' kernel also lists as a 'x86 boot sector' file..
> # file /var/www/cobbler/images/centos/vmlinuz
> /var/www/cobbler/images/centos/vmlinuz: x86 boot sector
>
> Can this be considered as a low priority feature request?
>
> - dhawal

The file type checking implementation in cobbler currently a bit "lame",
and looks to see if something has "vmlinuz" in it for kernel names.
Executing "file" for local files would be smarter.    The one catch here
is that there are two kinds of initrd files -- CPIO and gzips, so that
is something to be careful about.   This would involve some small
changes to util.py.

Another idea -- rather than having a cobbler "memtest" distro (which
would require a lot of hacking to prevent files being written to
/var/lib/cobbler and confusing koan), it might be better to have
cobbler, when writing out the PXE menus, just to create an additional
PXE menu entry for memtest, possibly adding it to the cobbler package if
it's not clearly available in another package.  This entry could appear
last or first in the list, either way.    It defintely wouldn't need to
be a full fledged distro (with an entry in /var/lib/cobbler/distros,
etc) as it's not really installable.   This would require changes just
in action_sync.py

Both of these seem pretty easy to do ... perhaps someone on-list would
like to submit a patch or two?   Wink, wink, nudge, nudge?