[et-mgmt-tools] Cimbiote methods

Bart Whiteley bart.lists at whiteley.org
Thu Mar 22 20:53:40 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:

> Wow, a post about Cimbiote :)   I'm happy and sad at the same time.
> You're basically the first person who has asked about it.    Cimbiote is
> now largely unmaintained, and I should update the web page to indicate
> we are looking for a new owner.    I would really like to see someone
> who is well connected with CIM development help continue it.

I would like to take ownership of Cimbiote if you're looking for a new
owner.  I added support for associations to Cimbiote a couple of months
back, but haven't got around to testing it thoroughly yet, which is why
I haven't submitted the patch yet.

At the time when it was written we saw a lot of large company interest
> in CIM and wanted to help out in making writing providers easier for
> those that were not CIM experts -- writing CIM providers is way too
> painful, and documentation is scarce.     Standardized interfaces, we
> thought, were definitely a good idea, but the problem was these
> standards were overcomplicated and that created a high barrier to entry
> for open-source players (who generally preferred simpler and more
> transparent technology).  Unfortunately, we were unable to drum up
> community interest among pegasus-list and open source CIM project
> leaders.

I did a presentation on pywbem and Cimbiote at Management Developers
Conference (mandevcon.com) back in December.  I believe the current
CIM/WBEM community isn't very interested in a Python provider
interface because to date, most of this group has been involved in
embedded environments such as BMCs, where python is not guaranteed
to be present.