[et-mgmt-tools] kickstart file specified in distro (rather than profile)?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 14:10:48 UTC 2007

Msquared wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:41:20AM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>

>>> Can I specify a kickstart entry in the distro?  This would be the default,
>>> which I could override for each profile I create.
>>>

>> It belongs in the profile. A kickstart explains /how/ a distribution
>> should be installed, not /what/ distribution should be installed.
>>

> I don't disagree, but it occurs to me that the kickstart can also explain
> what /parts of/ a distribution should be installed (via %packages), so in
> part it is explaining /what/ (albeit not what /distribution/).

You seem to be missing the design point of the abstraction layer. A
given distribution can
be installed multiple ways, and folks should be thinking about a role of
a system as opposed to just
what distribution is assigned to the system.

Adding a profile is very easy:

cobbler profile add --name=foo --distro=bar --kickstart=/opt/foo/whatever.ks

> I still think that you should be able to specify a default kickstart file
> to associate with the distro (since in a given installation it may be
> likely that /how/ is the same for all of the configurations, and you only
> want to customers /what parts/ are installed, via the profile).

If you use the import feature, a profile is created with the same name
as the distro automagically with
(unless /etc/cobbler/*.ks is modified) an @base kickstart. You can use that.
> Or perhaps an ability to build a profile on top of another profile and
> just customise some of it?  Or another layer above or below profiles?
> Perhaps 'customisation' or something?

Something like this is possible.
>>> I ask because I notice the kickstart option to cobbler profile add is
>>> optional.
>>>

> So what kickstart is used if the option is not given explicitly in
> 'cobbler profile add'?

An interactive install.