[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler features

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 16 16:54:20 UTC 2007

Based on recent list activity, and a talking with everyone at Summit and
IRC, here's my list of the top 4 things I'd like to see added to cobbler
in the near term:

-- Virt support for deploying additional virt types
    KVM, etc
    Fullvirt Xen

-- Extend the repo management code to deal with older non-yum content
(RHN), like mrepo can do, such that running mrepo as a seperate tool for
older distros is not required.

-- Build a netinstall CD from cobbler for environments that don't do
PXE.    Tie the CD to a specific profile (or better, eventually, provide
a boot menu).   Lots of folks need baremetal provisioning and due to
aspects beyond their control can't use PXE.

-- Support either om_shell or DNSMasq, to avoid the dhcp reload wait
time when manage_dhcp is enabled and systems are updated.   (Some folks
I believe are looking at both of these?)

If there's something you'd like to see added feature-wise, I'd be glad
to hear ideas.