[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler netboot_enable utility

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed May 23 14:42:49 UTC 2007

I just shared this with Michael on IRC and he suggested I posted it to the
list, so here it is.

Running koan on a target machine seemed too cumbersome sometimes, so I wrote
this little app to more or less flip the netboot_enabled bit on a system, so
that you could run this utility:

cobbler_change_netboot.py enable mysystem

and simply reboot the target machine.

The next logical step, then, is to have the system phone home when it is
finished reinstalling to flip the bit back to 0. I've done this in the past
(on a homegrown system) by having the target wget a webpage which was a
script that changed the status from 'reinstall' to 'installed'. This could
also be done via some ssh magic.

I would also like to add in some sort of trigger ability much like cobbler
has to do things like 'puppetca --clean hostname' when preparing for a
reinstall.

This is a very basic proof of concept of the idea, but to be a good "release
early, release often" type guy, here it is.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics