[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler features

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu May 17 16:00:46 UTC 2007

Jim Wildman wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> Based on recent list activity, and a talking with everyone at Summit
>> and IRC, here's my list of the top 4 things I'd like to see added to
>> cobbler in the near term:
>>
>> -- Virt support for deploying additional virt types
>>    KVM, etc
>>    Fullvirt Xen
>>
>> -- Extend the repo management code to deal with older non-yum content
>> (RHN), like mrepo can do, such that running mrepo as a seperate tool
>> for older distros is not required.
>>
>> -- Build a netinstall CD from cobbler for environments that don't do
>> PXE. Tie the CD to a specific profile (or better, eventually, provide
>> a boot menu).   Lots of folks need baremetal provisioning and due to
>> aspects beyond their control can't use PXE.
>>
>> -- Support either om_shell or DNSMasq, to avoid the dhcp reload wait
>> time when manage_dhcp is enabled and systems are updated.   (Some
>> folks I believe are looking at both of these?)
>>
>> If there's something you'd like to see added feature-wise, I'd be
>> glad to hear ideas.
>>
>> --Michael
>
>  -- make sure everything runs on RHEL4 from start.  Don't Fedoraize
>  cobbler.

Absolutely.   Cobbler will always run on it.   I've drawn the line on
RHEL3 though RHEL3 is still provisionable from Cobbler, of course.  koan
still works on RHEL3 too.

As far as new virt support is concerned, virt support in koan is only
engaged when --virt is used, and koan will test for what virtualization
support is available.

Naturally there are lots of Fedora folks who want to play with new
technology, and I believe we can happily support both.