[et-mgmt-tools] dnsmasq (was: Two cobbler feature suggestions (fwd))

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 23 21:58:34 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Bryan K. Wright wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>>     Here's a note I sent recently to Michael DeHaan, and his response.
>> He suggested I forward it to the list.  As he suggests, I'll take a look
>> at Cobbler's trigger infrastructure and see what would be required
>> to get Cobbler to play with dnsmasq.

I've got a rough implementation coded up together on my server now that
allows for using dnsmasq instead of ISC.  Works pretty well.

What you do is set "manage_dhcpd_mode" to "dnsmasq" and then can do
things like:

cobbler system add --name=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --ip-address=192.168.1.50
--hostname=blippy

I should have something checked in to the repo tomorrow, (default mode =
"isc"), though I'm experiencing some problems with routing setup.   If
there are any dnsmasq experts who might be able to help debug what's up
with the kickstart files not being retrieved, that would prove useful.
Basically the system will PXE fine, DHCP works as intended, but the
cobbler server address (192.168.1.210 in this case) is apparently not
reachable.

Anyhow, this is pretty close to achieving dynamic DNS management within
cobbler.  I like what I see so far.

If someone knows how to add host entries (DHCP and DNS) into dnsmasq
without restart, that would also prove useful -- I see something can be
done with polling resolv.conf (nice) but am not sure about the DHCP
component.  Right now cobbler is templating out /etc/dnsmasq.conf using
/etc/cobbler/dnsmasq.template and reloading the service, much like the
way the DHCP management works now.