[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager: Supporting additional para-virtual OS's

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Thu Nov 15 20:23:24 UTC 2007

Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:14:29PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
>
>> Another route (though one that takes more effort), is to base install on
>> virt-image metadata - the idea is that we would ship stock virt-image
>> files for installable OS's; those files would contain the salient bits
>> about an OS (such as APIC/ACPI, whether to enable a graphics console,
>> kernel cmdline for pv) virt-manager would have to modify those files a
>> little before passing them off to virt-image, mostly to put things like
>> the ISO location and path to the root disk in.
>>

> That seems like the right way to do it. We need an image-packager though, right?

I don't think that will solve the problem.

The areas that need to be abstracted are:
    Distro (OS) detection from install media
        Currently handled by specializations of the ImageStore class.

    OS specific XML generation
        Not available currently

    OS specific kernel options for both "Install Phase" and "Normal
Execution Phase"
        Not available currently

For the last two, the base class could provide the current
implementation and specializations could be used to handle those OS's
with nonstandard requirements.

Currently I'm handling it with manually generated XML templates using
"virsh create" to do the install and then "virsh define" to configure
the "normal" settings..