[et-mgmt-tools] Simple Q: HOWTO setup automated deployment for different virt variants?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 16:14:11 UTC 2007

Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> In order to allow simple and automated testing of some stuff, I would
> like to be able to:
>
> - Define a configuration for a runtime environment based on RHEL{4,5}
> - Deploy this config in all five relevant environments:
>   - Baremetal on normal kernel
>   - Baremetal on dom0 kernel
>   - Paravirtualised
>   - Fully virtualised
>   - Fully virtualised with paravirtualised drivers
>
> How would yous tackle this? Cobbler, puppet only? initrd magic?
> Stateless?
>
> I would welcome nay input and experiences ...
>
> Jan

Sure...

Cobbler/koan covers provisioning all of this right now except fullvirt
Xen, which is now installable via PXE if you have F8.  Before that
AFAIK, there was no fully automatic way to install fullvirt Xen.   I'll
be adding koan hooks to simply this in the next release.

FYI -- koan does do fullvirt KVM (not Xen) out of the box, paravirt Xen
is no problem regardless of OS version.