[Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler query (and now Xen too)]

Chris Sarginson chris.sarginson at ukfast.net
Thu Oct 4 17:41:11 UTC 2007

Al Tobey wrote:
> On 10/4/07, Chris Sarginson <chris.sarginson at ukfast.net> wrote:
>> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>>> Currently yes, as I understand it the virtinst library will have PXE
>>> support in a release soon (at least in F7/F8?), and at that point we can
>>> do fullvirt.   Right now, since fullvirt installs require a disk image
>>> for provisioning (they can't just be fed a kernel+initrd), we can only
>>> do paravirt Xen.   However, KVM does allow this currently, so there
>>> we are doing hardware.     We should have something for Xen soon.
>> OK, in that case I'll just run paravirtualised machines in the mean
>> time.  I'm sure the performance is supposed to be very similar between
>> paravirt + hardware virt - can anyone confirm?
>
> Paravirtualization should be higher performance than full
> virtualization.   Hardware virtualization is faster than software CPU
> emulation, which is probably what you're thinking of.
>
> -Al Tobey

Thanks Al

Chris
--
Kind regards

Chris Sarginson
Technical Support
UKFast.Net Ltd

(t) 0870 111 8866
(f) 0870 458 4545

"The UK's Best Hosting Provider" ISPA Awards 2007, 2006 and 2005

Dedicated Servers - Managed Hosting - Domain Names- http://www.ukfast.net

UKFast.Net Ltd, City Tower, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester, M1 4BT
Registered in England. Number 384 5616