[Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler query (and now Xen too)]

Chris Sarginson chris.sarginson at ukfast.net
Mon Oct 8 15:54:54 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Chris Sarginson wrote:
>> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll push it everywhere.    Should be in git sometime next week.
>>>
>> Thanking you again - would it be possible to get a virt-mac option for
>> Koan?  I could do with being able to tell the Virtual Server what its
>> mac is as part of some automation I have built for our stuff.
>
> I think so.   However, the current bug that doesn't honor the mac unless
> it's also in $name needs to be fixed and will be for the next release.
>
> So the following:
>
> cobbler system add --name=foo --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --profile=xyz
>
> Is supposed to do that...
>
> Do you have a need to be able to do it client side?   It's not hard to
> add, just trying to understand things :)

Yeah, basically the the virtual server will boot and do the install, and
during the install a custom perl script is run, which based on the
servers MAC address pulls details from a database and sets them on the
server.  Kludgey, but pretty effective :)

Are you saying however that I could create a system in cobbler that will
tell koan what the MAC address is meant to be and set it appropriately?
    I would have to look into it, but that may be a viable option, but
having the ability to do it through koan is probably the best way tbh :)

Chris

>>> No thanks needed.  Computers are just up there with eating, sleeping
>>> and breathing and all that :)
>>>
>> So true :)
>>
>> Chris

Kind regards

Chris Sarginson
Technical Support
UKFast.Net Ltd

(t) 0870 111 8866
(f) 0870 458 4545

"The UK's Best Hosting Provider" ISPA Awards 2007, 2006 and 2005

Dedicated Servers - Managed Hosting - Domain Names- http://www.ukfast.net

UKFast.Net Ltd, City Tower, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester, M1 4BT
Registered in England. Number 384 5616