[et-mgmt-tools] [virt-manager] - VNC does not use correct keyboard map

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 18:32:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 02:53:14PM -0300, Davidson Rodrigues Paulo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using virt-manager to manage Xen and Qemu guests. My keyboard map
> is Brazilian ABNT2 (br-abnt2 on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard), but it's not
> being correctly recognized when I connect to a guest using VNC.

Virt-manager looks at the keyboard setting in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
and maps that to one of the QEMU keymaps for the VNC server. This is
an inexact science because QEMU has a fairly limited set of keymaps it
supports.  For Brazilian it supports 'pt-br' - if that is compatible
with br-abnt2  I can make sure we setup a mapping for br-abnt2 -> pt-br

> There is a way to specify which keyboard layout virt-manager/viewer
> must use on VNC connections do guests?

It has to be configured at the time the guest OS is installed. So
with virt-manager it is automatically mapped if it is supported by
QEMU. With virt-install you have use the --keymap arg to specify
one of the QEMU keymaps (see /usr/share/qemu/keymaps)

Regards,
Dan.