[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and non-Linux "distros"

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Fri Oct 12 20:19:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:09:55PM -0400, Jack Neely enlightened us:
> Folks,
>
> One of my goals at NCSU has been to create a boot service that can
> handle all Intel-ish machines.  I have that running now and am looking
> at using Cobbler as the glue to pull all the various parts together and
> to take advantage of koan.
>
> What thought has been given to non-Linux distributions?  We install
> windows with linux but cobbler's mandated usage of ks=foo and other
> things on the append line don't make since here.  What about other
> utilities such as memtest or dban?
>
> Perhaps a different breed option to alter the feature set?

memtest and dban I just put into the pxe template file as individual
entries. I have a windows installation system that is kicked off from a
linux boot disk that I could pxe boot, but I think the same thing could be
done - just an entry in the pxe template. If I could get the machine
definitions to live inside cobbler too, that'd be nice, but there's quite a
bit of info that I'm not sure would shoehorn very well.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics