[et-mgmt-tools] koan automatic network configuration patch

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 14:38:36 UTC 2007

Al Tobey wrote:
> Attached is a patch to add a -A/--autonet option to koan.
>
> As an introduction, here's the relevant part of the man page:
>
> --autonet Tells koan to configure the installer's networking on the
> kernel command line using ip=/netmask=/gateway=, etc..   First, it
> will download the kickstart configuration and check for a network
> --bootproto=static method.  If that fails and --replace-self has been
> specified, it will use the current system's network configuration, as
> found using iproute2.

To summarize: it keeps the real or virtual system from having to
initially DHCP when enough information is
stored in Cobbler (or can be found on the local system) so that it's not
required.    Depending on the kickstarts
employed, the kickstart may still indicate a DHCP configuration, so this
would only save the initial DHCP.

Did I get that right?

> Obviously this only supports Linux systems.    Also, this isn't really
> useful to most people without cobbler 0.6.3 (unreleased) or weird
> template hacks to do netmask/gateway lookups like I'm using.  It's
> working really well for me both on Xen VM's and for re-imaging servers
> to new/different OS's.

For clarification, Cobbler 0.6.3 is relevant because each NIC has an
optional --gateway and --subnet parameter, where
before there's not as clean of a way to save/access that information
(--ksmeta).