[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [Libvir] Problem to compile virt-manager in debian etch

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 08:43:59 UTC 2007

Marco Sinhoreli wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem to compile the virt-manager in a Debian etch (64 bit
> version). I got the virt-manager source from mercurial repository.
> Bellow the output autogen.sh command:
>
> ./autogen.sh
> libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> libtoolize: `ltmain.sh' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
> configure.ac:7: required file `./config.rpath' not found
> man/Makefile.am:6: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

Ah the joys of automake ...  You can get rid of the above warnings (at
the miniscule cost of requiring GNU make) with the first attached patch.

> src/Makefile.am:26: variable `schema_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:26: library has `schema' as canonic name (possible typo)
> src/Makefile.am:11: variable `libexec_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:11: library has `libexec' as canonic name (possible typo)
> src/Makefile.am:4: variable `bin_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:4: library has `bin' as canonic name (possible typo)
> src/Makefile.am:18: variable `desktop_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:18: library has `desktop' as canonic name (possible typo)
> src/Makefile.am:8: variable `python_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:8: library has `python' as canonic name (possible typo)
> src/Makefile.am:22: variable `dbus_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> src/Makefile.am:22: library has `dbus' as canonic name (possible typo)

These are actual error messages.

For example:

   schemadir = $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas
   schema_SOURCES = $(PACKAGE).schemas.in
   schema_DATA = $(PACKAGE).schemas

   %.schemas: $(srcdir)/%.schemas.in
           sed -e "s,::PACKAGE::,$(PACKAGE)," < $< > $@

What appears to be meant here is that virt-manager.schemas.in should be
distributed in the tarball, that virt-manager.schemas should be
installed in /etc/gconf/schemas, and that virt-manager.schemas is
generated from virt-manager.schemas.in.  It seems however that the
version of automake shipped with Debian doesn't like you using _SOURCES
when you are not building a binary or library (instead just list the
files to be distributed in EXTRA_DIST).

Patch for that attached.

I always wonder what problem exactly automake is supposed to solve, and
I never use it in my own programs.

The final error is:

> configure.ac:7: required file `./config.rpath' not found

To get this file the first time after you clone the repository, do:

   autoreconf -f -i -Wno-portability

In fact, we should really just use autoreconf instead of the home-brew
autogen script.  (That's what I recommend people do for virt-top et al.)

Rich.